Get ready for a week celebrating all things bike – from a pedal powered cinema to a cycle jumble.
Chichester Cycling Festival is on from Saturday 15 to Sunday 23 June around the city and includes cycle rides, a Midsummer night’s mountain bike ride to the South Downs, talks, BMX demonstrations and more.
Some of the highlights include:
· Cycle Jumble – either buy or sell some cycling gear. It is Saturday 15 June from 9am-2pm on at St Paul’s Church Hall, Northgate, Chichester;
· Pedal Powered Cinema – sit back and watch a pedal powered cycling film on Sunday 16 June at 12.30pm, 3pm and 6pm at the Dance Studio, University of Chichester, Bishop Otter Campus;
· Cycle to Work Day – cycle to work on Tuesday 18 June and pop along to the Market Cross in Chichester between 7.30am and 9.30am for free bike marking, coffee shop vouchers, chance to enter prize draw for £250 bike shop voucher and cycling information; and
· Team Extreme event – younger cyclists will love the demonstration by Team Extreme at the skate park next to Westgate Leisure Chichester on Sunday 23 June from 11am-4pm. Free coaching is available as well as displays on a BMX and scooter.
Plus, there are two evening talks by well-known cyclists:
· former Olympian and Tour de France rider Colin Lewis on Saturday 15 June from 7-8.30pm; and
· Josie Dew, cyclist and writer, on Thursday 20 June from 7.30-9.30pm.
Tickets for both events are £5 and both talks are being held at the Friends Meeting House, Priory Road in Chichester.
Councillor John Connor, Chichester District Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment, says: “We’re supporting the cycling festival to help foster a culture of cycling within the Chichester District. Cycling not only helps to reduce traffic congestion but also helps promote health and wellbeing within our community. The festival should inspire people of all ages to get back on two wheels.”
The festival has been jointly funded by Government grant funding awarded to Chichester District and West Sussex County Councils and is being organised by both councils and members of the community.
For full festival details see www.chichester.gov.uk/cycling and leaflets are available from both of the councils’ offices, Westgate Leisure Chichester, local bike shops, Chichester Library and The Novium.
To book tickets for any event or for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01243 534694.