For the full story, visit www.getsafeonline.org, select ‘Protecting Yourself’ and then ‘Holiday & Travel Booking’.
Top tips to ensure your holiday or travel booking is safe
- Do thorough research on accommodation, flights, cruises, package holidays or pilgrimages advertised via private advertisements, to check they’re authentic.
- Check that accommodation really exists by finding it on Google Maps and looking for independent reviews and recommendations. If you can, call and speak to the owner/agent directly. If the number is not provided, email and request it.
- Check reviews on TripAdvisor or similar sites.
- Never pay for holidays or travel by bank transfer. If you do and it’s a fraud, you may never see your money again. Paying by credit card means more chance of getting your money back if something goes wrong.
- Make sure travel agents and tour operators you book through are members of trade associations such as ABTA or ATOL, by checking on these bodies’ websites.