BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Chairman: Mr. Howard Ewing
Clerk: Mrs. Lorraine Grocott BA (Hons): Local Policy
23 West Meade, Milland, Nr Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7NB
Tel 01428 741393… Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
MINUTES of the Meeting of BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Thursday 23 January 2014 at The Park House Hotel, Bepton
Present: Mr H Ewing (Chairman), Mr M Balmforth (Vice-Chairman), Mrs R Hart,
Mr G Ryan, Mrs C Bower, Mrs H Hollowood, Mrs S Fay
Cllr. Gordon McAra (County Councillor)
300. Apologies: Cllr John Cherry, District Councillor. He will provide a report at the next meeting.
301. Declaration of Interests of Members on Agenda: There were none.
302. Minutes of the Meeting 28 November 2013 were agreed and signed as amended.
303. Public Participation: There was none.
304. Report from Cllr McAra, County Councillor –
1. There had been considerable flooding in the local area and he encouraged an element of landowner DIY regarding trees, ditches and drains.
2. WSCC has approved a boost of £30million over the next 2 years as part of the Better Roads Programme to improve road maintenance for unclassified roads. The money will help to rebuild road surfaces not just for pot holes etc. Bepton council should draw to his attention any roads for consideration in its parish. SF mentioned the camber on Bepton Road, HE raised the deteriorating road surface at Bepton Road near the Park House due to flooding, and GR mentioned the deteriorating surface on Bugshill Lane. The Council would want to look at future funding sources to improve the roads and flooding issues.
3. Broadband Phase 1 roll-out is due to commence in April.
4. Kieran Stigant, employed by the CC for 22 years and CEO for the past 3 years, will be leaving the council at the end of January.
Q. SF asked about the two hours free parking plus the time needed for a trip to London.
Q. RH asked about the current situation regarding the abolishing of paper copy of planning applications. Cllr McAra advised that the SDNP Planning Authority will keep paper copies for the foreseeable future. The District Council were overruled.
305. Matters arising –
Item 287 -Dark Skies – The Chairman will put something onto the website with a Link.
Winter Newsletter – Items suggested include flooding, trees on Severals Rd, Church news.
306. Chairman items – Footpath works Bepton Road
The footpath works have been carried out according to the Schedule of Works. There were 3 tenders. Crown Civil Engineers were accepted for the price of £16,739.20 + vat Total £20087.04. The County gave the Parish a grant of £21,749.93. The Parish council could keep any residue. The work was done in December but the footpath was just a little too low and the area continued to flood. It appeared to all that the original WSCC specification was wrong. Crown CE had quoted for the work against the original specification and considered that they could not be held responsible for shortcomings in that. However, they agreed to undertake some remedial works including changing the flow off the road and kerbing. As a sign of good faith, they would do this at cost price. It had been agreed to use the residual money for it these remedial works and clearing of the old footpath at the edge of Bepton Road to Pitsham Lane. It was agreed to pay Invoice No. 65513 for £20087.04 inc. vat £3347.84. There will be a photo call for the Mid & Pet once the footpath is completed.
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 23 January 2014
307. COUNCIL REPORTS – Finance
The above payments were approved by the council.
a) The Clerk was unsure of her payment and would check the file. If there was an overpayment she would reimburse the council.
b) CDC has advised the Tax base for Bepton will be 142.2 with a grant of £39.90.
c) The Chairman has paid $18 for next month’s website registration.
308. Planning report – Mrs Hart – Councils response to application
309. Environment and Amenities – There were no matters.
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 23 January 2014
310. Highways/Rights of Way
a) Speed Limit reduction Severals Road – Cllr McAra advised that although the reduction in the speed limit for Severals Road, and Bepton Road, didn’t meet the criteria it will be put into the programme. It may take some time to work through the system.
b) Speed SLOW sign on the Bepton Road – Needs to be moved 50 metres towards Midhurst.
c) The footpath from Bepton border leading to Midhurst is in serious need of attention. The council was unsure whether this was in Cocking or Midhurst. The Chairman would raise it with Cllr McAra .
d) Flooding at the end of Severals Road – Mrs Bower expressed her concern about the constant flooding of the area. Cllr McAra had indicated that the Operation Watershed Grant Fund might be extended and if this was the case then the council should apply.
311. Winter Management Plan
Mr Balmforth reported on the following:-
In the event of snow the Grit bags will be sited at the Country Inn, Frogmore on the Bepton Road and at the Park Hotel. If it does snow Keith Parks and his son will have access to the salt and gritter. The
salt bags are currently at Church Farm.
312. District /County Organisations
North Chichester – CLC meeting 21 January 2014 – The TRO for Bepton – Bepton Road was included in the Speed Limit Request for a Speed Limit (30mph within village).
SALC – Training Events – Planning 25 February @ Pulborough; New Councillor & Refresher Training 12 June @ Pulborough.
CDC – All Parish meeting – Thursday 1 May 2014 – Request for information on what councils find use about these meetings. Is the twice-yearly frequency about right? Are then any changes the council would like? Are there any topics requests for the next meeting?
313. Other Matters –
Date of next meeting – Thursday 27 March 2014 @ 7pm, the Park House Hotel
AGM and APM – Thursday 22 May 2014
Chairman: …………………………………. Date: …………………………..