22 Nov 18 Minutes of Meeting

Chairman: Mr. Howard Ewing
Clerk: Mrs. Lorraine Grocott, BEM, BA Hons (Local Policy)
23 West Meade, Milland, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7NB
Tel 01428 741393… Email: postmaster@milland-wsc-pc.gov.uk
Website – http://www.bepton.org

Thursday 22 November 2018 at The Park Hotel, Bepton

Present: Mr H Ewing (in the Chair), Mrs R Hart, Mr J Beckett, Mrs L Milner,
Mrs A Cunningham, Dr J Wilkinson, Cllr K O’Kelly (County Councillor).
Cllr C Neville (District Councillor)
PCSO Colin Booker, Wildlife Crime Officer & Gypsy/Traveller Liaison Officer.

675. Apologies – Mrs C Bower

676. Declaration of Interests of Members on Agenda – There were none.

677. Minutes of the Meeting 20 September 2018 were agreed and signed.

678. Report from the County Councillor – Cllr Kate O’Kelly

Frailty hub at Midhurst Community Hospital
Project for hub for severe frailty for rural North Chi based at Midhurst Community Hospital. All services and therapists including medics and social care working as a team. Vanguard project – integration of health and social care. Midhurst and Loxwood GPs leading. Aim to have some community beds as well for step-up admission. Should prevent unwelcome hospital admissions in severe frailty.
Bus Update
The consultation closed on 18th November, WSCC bus group met on 20th November. Threat of reduction to bus routes and services across the County. Our local NW Bus Group meets on 27th Nov – 6pm – Rogate Village Hall
Scrutiny committee at WSCC will be discussing bus subsidies on 6th December – public can attend.
Cabinet member for Highways makes his decision about possible reduction to bus services after this meeting.
Looking to organise contribution to funding from NW group bus group from parishes on 54.
Cycling motion
I lead a cycling debate at the last Full Council at WSCC. There was cross party support for more work across department at WSCC – including public health, environment and highways to improve our cycling infrastructure and the number of people cycling. I will continue to push this agenda forward.
Changes to the planning system to fast-track “non-hydraulic fracking”
The Government is currently consulting on proposed amendments to the planning system in relation to the exploratory phases of shale exploration. The proposal is to allow this exploration to proceed under permitted development rules. This was debated at last Full Council at WSCC– there was cross party support for these decisions to be taken locally.

North Chichester CLC
Presentation on Refill – National and local campaign to reduce Single Use Plastics. Organisations and shops can sign up to be part of Refill http://www.refill.org.uk. WSCC and CDC are signed up – hoping to roll this campaign out across the District and County
Presentation on Your energy Sussex – An energy supplier for Sussex – 100% renewable – increasingly more will be generated locally from solar. The aim is not to profit, but to help residents to switch from big 6 and save.
http://www.yourenergysussex.org.uk or call 0800952001
Community Initiative Fund
There were no applications in this round from across the North West of the County – there is money left for this financial year – if any groups in the Community are looking for funds for their initiative it is a good time to apply – next allocation is in March 2019. http://www.spacehive.com/movement/westsussexcrowd
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 22 November 2018

Midhurst Vision Group – Cllr O’Kelly is part of the Midhurst Vision Group funded by the CDC. The aim of the group is to stand back and be strategic about the future of Midhurst. The group has asked a consultant to help to create a document which will be presented in March 2019.

Kate’s Drop Ins –
Milland – Stores – 29th November 10.30 – 12.30
Rogate – Village Stores – 10th December 10.30-12.30
Midhurst – The Grange – 17th December 10.30-12.30

679. Report from the District Councillor – Cllr Caroline Neville

Local Plan – Review – (Chichester District but outside SDNPA) The draft has been published. There will be Public consultation between November 2018 until February 2019. It is the review of the LP which was adopted in 2015. The number of houses to be built then was 450 houses. The plan for 2025 has increased to 601 houses and if not built the figure will increase to 800 houses p.a.
The Grange Development – The community would like to see affordable housing for young people.
Skating Rink at Priory Park – From late November to January.
The Novium will have a photographic exhibition.
The Midhurst Society meeting – The Leader of Chichester District Council (CDC) Tony Dignum will be at the meeting to answer questions about the proposed development of The Grange Care Home.
Closure of The Bluebell Inn at Cocking – There is also concern about the future of the Post Office.
Plastics recycling – CDC is promoting plastics recycling.

680. Public Participation – PCSO Colin Booker, Wildlife Crime Officer & Gypsy/Traveller Liaison Officer.
PCSO is the local officer based in Chichester, but he can be sent anywhere needed from Selsey to the Surrey boarder and into the Arun District. Fortunately for this area over the past 2-3 months there have been very few issues although there have been a couple of burglaries in the Midhurst area.
The main problem has been car break-ins. A few arrests have been made and justice served.
Cars parked at local lay-bys, parking areas, particularly for dog walkers or cyclists have been targeted but with the recent arrests there should be less incidents. Drivers were advised not to leave anything visible in their cars.

681. Matters arising
a) Bepton War Memorial – Following an approach from the Mrs. Sheila Ryan, churchwarden of Bepton Church to restore the War Memorial in St Mary’s churchyard the Parish applied to CDC for a Remembrance Day grant and were pleased to receive £250. The Council engaged the services of Mark Butler of Marks of Respect to carry out the restoration and the Council has been delighted with the result. Councillors were invited to a short re-dedication service at the War Memorial on 11 November, Armistice Day. Mr. Ryan read out the names on the Memorial, laid a wreath in remembrance and prayers were said. This was followed by refreshments organized by the churchwardens. Total cost of the restoration was £804. The Council has recently received a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) payment for a single development of a holiday let of £760.50. Following discussion, it was felt that this payment could be allocated for the payment of the restoration work as it was for the benefit of the Bepton community.
It was suggested that the condition of the War Memorial should be checked every 5 years. The Chairman reminded the Council that it was responsible for War Memorials.
It was noted that a lot of work had been done in the churchyard and it looked in very good order.
The Midhurst Society has published information on the Bepton people named on the Memorial in their latest periodical.
b) Newsletter November – Thanks, were expressed to Mrs. Carey Bower for the Newsletter which provides useful local information to the community. Items included the Bepton Walking Group, Cold Alert Service, Winter Maintenance Plan, Scam Mail, Midhurst Mobile Banking and news from St Mary’s Church.

Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 22 November 2018

681. Chairman’s Items
Broadband – The South end of the village can now be connected to the Fibre available from the box on Severals Green. This seems to have improved the speed. BT guarantee a minimum of 5Mbps, with a maximum of 11 Mbps.

682. Finance report – Mrs Grocott, RFO
a) Statement of Accounts – Payments for approval

The above payments were approved by the Council.

b) WSALC – Finance & Legal Day 17.9.18 – Points highlighted include: –
• Annual Governance & Accountability Return – Minute separate approvals for Sec.1 Annual Governance Statement and Sec.2 Accounting Statements.
• Regular report on bank reconciliation – Schedule of Payments made – progress against budget.
• One signature payment properly authorised is OK.
• No power to accumulate general reserve – Rule of Thumb 50% of precept.
• Don’t reduce the precept – spend the money on the local community.
• Earmarked Reserves- Specific Reserves – reduce impact on precept – time limited.

c) Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) payment for holiday home from SDNPA £760.50.
d) Moore Stephens, External Auditors have advised that they do not send out confirmation of the end of the Annual Return. They will only contact the Council if there are concerns, i.e. exception reporting.

e) Precept proposals for 2019-20 – The Precept proposed for 2019-20 is £4975. (See attached)
In the interest of supporting the community it was decided to increase the Donations to £1600.
The Clerks salary would be reviewed. It was suggested that if the Lottery application for the Defibrillator unit in the old telephone box was unsuccessful the Reserve could be used.
It was agreed that the Council would be more active in the maintenance of the verges and vegetation. In the New Year councillors would undertake a survey of the parish with a view to agreeing a programme of work.

Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 22 November 2018

683. Planning Report – Mrs Hart


Mr R Bailey of The Paddock, Severals Road requests permission to demolish the existing dwelling and associated outbuildings, and to erect a replacement dwelling incorporating garage. Permit

Mrs L Moore of Cowdray Estate requests permission to resurface the existing access track for Church Farm Bugshill Lane. We wrote a letter of objection as discussed. Withdrawn.

Wand Estates Ltd requests permission to change of use of the The Bluebell public house to provide 2 dwelling houses. Await decision.

Mr T Ellert of Bepton Common requests permission to build a new two storey rear extension and single front porch, to remove single storey utility room and alterations to windows, doors and roof. Refused.

Mr Joel Benton of Oakwood House, Severals Road requests permission to build an outdoor swimming pool. Await decision.

Mr & Mrs Keyes of Hopkiln Cottage, Bell Lane request permission for a Non-Material amendment to planning permission SDNP/14/02424/FUL to change the timber cladding on the southern gable of the barn from vertical to horizontal. Await decision.

684. Community Use Defibrillator – Lottery Application
Mr Beckett advised there was still no decision. One is expected in mid-December.

685. Highways & Byways & Environment
a) Winter Emergency Plan – This has been completed. There is a copy is on the website.

686. Other organisations –
a) Midhurst Area Cycling meeting, 21.10.18 – Dr Wilkinson attended the meeting and reported on the progress of the Centurion Way: West Dean to South Downs Way (and Midhurst). Feasibility and design work and land owner negotiations to develop the route from north of West Dean Tunnel to connect with the SDW at Cocking was in its final stages. There was a public drop-in session at Cocking to view the proposed designs. They have applied for a grant for bollards at the crossing from MTC. Midhurst to Woolbeding River Path – The Midhurst Society had been gifted funds 20 years ago. They are considering sponsoring a footpath by the river to make a legacy.
b) SDNPA Parish Workshop – Autumn 2018 – Thursday 29 November – John Beckett to attend.

687. Date of next meeting – 7pm – 24 January 2019 at The Park House Hotel.

Chairman: …………………………………. Date: ……………