BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Chairman: Mr Howard Ewing
Clerk: Mrs Lorraine Grocott, BEM
23 West Meade, Milland, Nr Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7NB
Tel: 01428 741393..Email: email@example.com
MINUTES of the Meeting of BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Thursday 24 September 2015 at The Park House Hotel, Bepton
Present: Mr H Ewing (Chairman), Mrs L Milner, Mrs H Hollowood, Mr G Ryan
Cllr. Cordon McAra (County Councillor)
Cllr. Caroline Neville (District Councillor)
420. Apologies – Mrs R Hart, Mrs C Bower
421. Declaration of Interests of Members on Agenda – There were none.
422. Minutes of the Meeting 23 July 2015 – were agreed and signed.
423. Reports from County and District Councillors
a) County Councillor – Gordon McAra reported on the following:-
• Midhurst Fire Station will be receiving a new 6×6 vehicle. It’s designed to go up narrow lanes and over difficult terrain which makes it more suitable for forest/heath land fires.
• Hampshire are consulting on major reductions to their fire vehicles as they have to make a saving of £8-9m. They are looking and reducing the number of fire stations. Petersfield will be reduced to a Unimog. The consultation is open until 4 December. People can respond via the website http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/a-safer-hampshire.
• Broadband – The project needs government funding. SDNP are trying a different approach.
• Changes in staffing at WSCC – The Principal Community Officer, Dan Sanders is moving to another role and he being replaced by Ross Shepherd. Fiona Baker is moving to a role to work with the elderly and will be replaced by Peter Lawrence. Joel Sykes will continue his role in Highways.
• Midhurst Whites Brickworks site – A masterplan proposal has been drawn up for two adjoining overgrown sites in Midhurst. The plan includes housing, employment and community space. The owners, Cowdray Estate, the county council and the SDNPA are supportive. Councillors raised a number of issues about the access road, allotments and nature reserve. Cllr McAra welcomed the Council’s input and said that the proposal was at a vey early stage.
b) District Councillor – Caroline Neville reported on the following:-
• Review of rural car park charges – Proposed charges for Midhurst Ruins– up to 1 hour: Free, Up to 2 hours: 40p. The Grange car park – Up to 2 hours Free; Up to 3 hours: 60p.
• Free old English apple trees are available for community orchards.
• Interest by parish in doing a Neighbourhood Plan – The Chairman advised that there had been no interest amongst Councillors in doing one. Cllr Neville suggested doing a Design Statement. This would be considered when the Chairman and Vice-Chair discussed next stages on planning.
• The SDNPA Consultation document for the Local Plan was now available and can be viewed on their website. The Chairman and Vice-Chair would submit the Council’s comments to the SDNPA by 28 October 2015.
424. Matters arising
a) There had been no formal request for the help with funding for the mirror for the road junction near Bepton Church.
b) Severals Green – The council was pleased to see that the trees had been crown lifted and the mowing done. The County has now programmed in the mowing cuts for next year. In the meantime Carl will do a final cut before the winter season commences
c) Verge on Bepton Road – Highways were considering how to address the erosion and access to the allotments following discussions with Joel Sykes (Highways). The next stage would be to draw up a secification and plan for discussion with the Council and the Cowdray Estate.
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 24 September 2015
424. Matters Arising continued
d) The branches of trees on the Bepton Common side are coming quite close to the road. Mrs Milner will contact Highways to ask them to trim them back and to also trim back the branches on the Allotment side.
425. Casual Vacancy – The District Council had confirmed that no request for an election to be held has been received. Consequently the Parish Council can now co-opt a person to fill the vacancy as soon as practicable.
426. Council Reports
a) Finance report – The Clerk
These cheques were approved for payment.
Completion of limited assurance review of council accounts for y/e 31.3.15.
PKF Littleton Accountants had completed the review. There were no matters arising.
The accounts have been placed on the website and on the notice board.
Half year check on the accounts – The Clerk will liaise with Mrs Milner.
b) Planning report – Mrs Hart provided a written report
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 24 September 2015
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council 24 September 2015
c) Environment and Amenities –
• Midhurst Yellow Bus – The Midhurst Community Bus has operated as an Industrial Provident Society, under the guise of the Midhurst Community Bus Association Limited. In the last couple of months they have applied, and been approved, by the Charity Commission to become a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, registration number 116267. A reception to launch the new charity will be held and they will be inviting representatives form Bepton Parish Council. They are also in the process of carrying out a fundamental review of their routes and would welcome comments or suggestions. The new bus and branding are considered to have been a great success. The new vehicle has led to a significant improvement in fuel consumption and a fall in maintenance costs.
• Severals tree felling on Cowdray land. The CEO has advised that the Cowdray Estate is in the process of felling trees at Severals Road. The work is part of their planned forestry management to
clear-fell and re-stock a Scots Pine plantation, planted in 1955.
427. Highways and Byways –
Severals Green Management – There was suggestion to raise the height of Severals Green with a level of topsoil. Mr Ryan would tale to the Coxes about this.
Winter Emergency Plan – The Chairman to contact Michael Rowland, Emergency Planning Officer, Chichester District Council. firstname.lastname@example.org
Operation Watershed – ACS, an agricultural contracting firm, will be clearing the ditches in accordance with the WSCC specification.
Bugshill Lane – WSCC had an outstanding action to upgrade the culvert at the junction with Church Lane.
428. County and District Organisations
Chichester District Council meeting with Parish Councils 30.9.15
County Local Committee meeting at Duncton 29.9.15
Date of next meeting – The Barn, The Park House Hotel, Bepton on 26 November 2015 at 7pm.
Chairman: ……………………….. Date: …………………………….
These Minutes are unconfirmed until signed by the Chairman