BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Chairman: Mr. Howard Ewing
Clerk: Mrs. Lorraine Grocott BA (Hons): Local Policy
23 West Meade, Milland, Nr Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7NB
Tel 01428 741393… Email: email@example.com
MINUTES of the Meeting of BEPTON PARISH COUNCIL
Thursday 26 March 2015 at the Park House Hotel, Bepton
Present: Mr H Ewing (Chairman), Mr M Balmforth, Mrs C Bower, Mrs R Hart
Mrs L Milner, Mrs H Hollowood, Mr G Ryan
Cllr. Gordon McAra (County Councillor)
Cllr. John Cherry (District Councillor)
Consent to the summons to be transmitted in electronic form to the electronic address
The Clerk advised that Councillors are now required to give their written consent under LGA72
Sch 12 para 10(2) (b) to the summons to attend meetings to be transmitted in electronic form to
their electronic address. This will be sent to all councillors following the election on 7 May.
396. Apologies – There were none.
397. Declaration of Interests of Members on Agenda – There were none.
398. Minutes of the Meeting 22 January 2015 were agreed and signed.
399. Reports from the County and District Councillors
a) Report from Cllr McAra, County Councillor
• Fire Service – There has been considerable concern about Midhurst losing its 2nd fire engine. It was used 30 time last year. The current situation is that they are trading in the primary engine for a new appliance at a cost of £125,000. The Midhurst community are pleased with this decision. The 2nd engine will be replaced with a multi-use 4×4 vehicle which will be more versatile in situations such as car accidents. There are 5 full time fire fighters based in Midhurst.
• Improved Recycling Service –From 1 April, residents across West Sussex will be able to recycle their plastic household pots, tubs and trays.
• Operation Watershed – The Council had submitted an application for a Severals Road drainage work grant to the value of – £1617 (£1348+vat=£1617.60). This was supported by Cllr McAra.
Bugshill Lane – Cowdray had cleared the ditch running from Church Lane along the line of the field in accordance with the advice of the WSCC engineer. It was hoped that this would reduce the flooding.
• Minerals Plan – The date for submitting the draft plan to the Secretary of State has slipped by about 12 months due to the work taking longer than originally anticipated.
• Broadband – It is best to contact the installers BT for up to date information. Cllr McAra offered to set up a meeting for Councillors with the WSCC team.
Matters raised with the County Councillor:-
1. Pathway Bepton Road – The Chairman raised the state of the pathway with the County Councillor. He had raised the matter with Midhurst Town Council but the response was unsatisfactory. Bepton PC would like to see the edge curbed as this would stop the eroding of the verge. The Chairman asked the County Councillor to formally raise the matter with Midhurst TC.
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 26 March 2015
2. Allotment rubbish – Mr. Balmforth expressed concern about the amount of rubbish that is collecting on the allotment site with empty bottles, garden waste bins, rubbish bins and Hippo bags. Local people are complaining that the area is becoming an eyesore. Mr. Ewing will write to the Cowdray Estate as they are the landowners.
Cllrs McAra and Cherry would meet to agree a way forward on both these issues and revert to the Council
400. b) Report from District Councillor
• There will be no increase in County Tax for 2015/16 with the average tax payer paying £2.71pw
• The District Council has set aside 9 short stay pitches for Travellers in the Chichester District.
• There has been useful cross border working agreements with a sharing of expertise which is providing financial benefits to both parties.
• There has been delays in the planning decision process because of vacancies in the planning department. Cllr Hart said that Bepton had not been affected.
• District Council Elections – John Cherry is standing as an Independent. Currently he is setting up a website to promote his re-election.
401. Matters arising
• Highways have programmed in the crown lifting of the trees on Severals Green.
• The trees/branches have been cut back by the Welcome to Bepton sign by Cllr Milner.
402. Chairman items
a) Operation Watershed – There are two main area for consideration. Both are due to silting.
1. Severals Road – ACS quote £1348 + vat (£1617.60). The ditch is on All Souls land and is their responsibility however WSCC advised the Council to apply for a grant. The ditch system as a whole has been neglected and cleaning it out will help to alleviate the flooding problem.
2. Bugsill Lane/Church Lane – WSCC were not happy with the initial proposal and asked theWSCC engineer to come up with a better solution. Mr Ewing contacted ACS about the ditch at Church Farm.
And also Cowdray to seek their agreement to the Council doing the work. In the event, Cowdray cleared the ditch as advised by the WSCC engineer.
403. Elections, Parish and District – 7 May 2015
The Notices about the Elections taking place have been placed on the notice boards and one the website. The Chairman has one spare Nomination form. Mr Balmforth has advised that he will not be standing for re-election. The Chairman thanked Mr Balmforth for his contribution to the council and the community over the past four years and in particular his energy to organise the Queens Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012 and organising the Emergency Planning for the winter months. The Chairman offered to hand deliver the forms to the District Council.
404. Annual Statutory Meeting (ASM) – Annual Parish Assembly (APA) – 21 May 2015
The Speaker for the evening will be Jonathan Russell, The Estate Manager, Cowdray Estate. The meeting will be held in The Lower Barn, Bepton Park Hotel, The Annual Statutory Meeting (ASM) will be held from 6.00-7.00pm and Annual Parish Assembly (APA) will be held from 7.45pm. Tea/Coffee/biscuits will be made available. Details will be placed on the website. It was noted that this year the statutory meeting dates unfortunately clashed with the Midhurst Society meeting.
Minutes of the Bepton Parish Council meeting 26 March 2015
405. COUNCIL REPORTS – Finance
The above payments were approved by the council.
a) VAT Reclaim – The council has reclaimed vat £136.57.
b) Thank you letters for donations, have been received from outside organisations.
c) The Financial year end accounts 31.3.15 will be prepared for internal audit.
d) The notice of external audit from PKF Littlejohn LLP has been received.
e) Precept payments 2015/16 – 1st instalment 17.4.15, 2nd instalment 11.9.15
406. Planning report –
407. Environment and Amenities
a) Mowing of Severals Green – Highways mow the area but it needs an in-between cut to keep the area tidy. Mrs Bower will put an item in the Newsletter asking for help to mow the area.
b) New Perspex has been put into the notice board and old notices removed.
Minutes of Bepton Parish Council meeting 26 March 2015
408. Highways/Rights of Way (RoW)
a) The next Rights of Way inspection will take place in January 2016.
b) Mr Hollowood attended the recent Pathwatch meeting. Pathwatch monitors antisocial behaviour on the Rights of Way, particular on the South Downs. Currently there is very little to report.
409. Other organisations
a) SALC – Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner – Wednesday 1 April 2015. The Assembly Rooms, Chichester. An opportunity to question the Chief Constable, Giles York and Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne on the changes in Local Policing.
a) Date for Diary – CDC meeting between members of CDC and Parish Councils, 30.9.15.
Date of next meetings – The Lower Barn, The Park Hotel, Bepton on 21 May 2015
Annual Statutory Meeting 6.00-7.00pm
Annual Parish Assembly – 7.45pm
Chairman: …………………………………. Date: …………………………..